Better WP Security
Better WP Security is the #1 WordPress Security Plugin
Better WP Security takes the best WordPress security features and techniques and combines them in a single plugin thereby ensuring that as many security holes as possible are patched without having to worry about conflicting features or the possibility of missing anything on your site.
With one-click activation for most features as well as advanced features for experienced users Better WP Security can help protect any site.
- Over One Million downloads from WordPress.org
- Obscure, Protect, Detect, Recover
- One-click activation for most features
As most WordPress attacks are a result of plugin vulnerabilities, weak passwords, and obsolete software. Better WP Security will hide the places those vulnerabilities live keeping an attacker from learning too much about your site and keeping them away from sensitive areas like login, admin, etc.
- Remove the meta “Generator” tag
- Change the urls for WordPress dashboard including login, admin, and more
- Completely turn off the ability to login for a given time period (away mode)
- Remove theme, plugin, and core update notifications from users who do not have permission to update them
- Remove Windows Live Write header information
- Remove RSD header information
- Rename “admin” account
- Change the ID on the user with ID 1
- Change the WordPress database table prefix
- Change wp-content path
- Removes login error messages
- Display a random version number to non administrative users anywhere version is used
Just hiding parts of your site is helpful but won’t stop everything. After we hide sensitive areas of the sites we’ll protect it by blocking users that shouldn’t be there and increasing the security of passwords and other vital information.
- Scan your site to instantly tell where vulnerabilities are and fix them in seconds
- Ban troublesome bots and other hosts
- Ban troublesome user agents
- Prevent brute force attacks by banning hosts and users with too many invalid login attempts
- Strengthen server security
- Enforce strong passwords for all accounts of a configurable minimum role
- Force SSL for admin pages (on supporting servers)
- Force SSL for any page or post (on supporting servers)
- Turn off file editing from within WordPress admin area
- Detect and block numerous attacks to your filesystem and database
Should all the protection fail Better WP Security will still monitor your site and report attempts to scan it (automatically blocking suspicious users) as well as any changes to the filesystem that might indicate a compromise.
- Detect bots and other attempts to search for vulnerabilities
- Monitor filesystem for unauthorized changes
Finally, should the worst happen Better WP Security will make regular backups of your WordPress database (should you choose to do so) allowing you to get back online quickly in the event someone should compromise your site.
- Create and email database backups on a customizable schedule
- Make it easier for users to log into a site by giving them login and admin URLs that make more sense to someone not accustomed to WordPress
- Detect hidden 404 errors on your site that can affect your SEO such as bad links, missing images, etc.
- Works on multi-site (network) and single site installations
- Works with Apache, LiteSpeed or NGINX (NGINX will require you to manually edit your virtual host configuration)
- Some features can be problematic if you don’t have enough RAM to support them. All my testing servers allocate 128MB to WordPress and usually don’t have any other plugins installed. I have seen issues with file check and database backups failing on servers with 64MB or less of RAM, particularly if there are many other plugins being used.